The Global LAI project is still in its start-up phase. We presented first results from the project at the ATBC in Cairns, 2014. The presentation can be downloaded here: Pfeifer et al. 2014. We presented on mapping ecosystem functions in tropical landscapes at the Tropical Ecology Meeting in Goettingen, 2016. We also presented at the GFBI conference in Beijing, September 2017. The presentation can be found here: 2017_Beijing_GFBI
Protocols and templates for use in the field:
Protocol for sampling including setting the context. Pfeifer_2015_Protocol_LAI_Measurements_V3.0
Field recording sheet: here it is
Code (Matlab) & helpfile explaining code and more for processing images in the lab to derive canopy structure estimates: Code 1 (one exposure per sample point), Code 2 (three exposures per sample point). Both need this isodata file if you are using the Ridler and Calvard Thresholding as specified in the code. You can modify the code to add another thresholding algorithm. Here is the helpfile that shows the code, information on how to edit code and details the main CanEye steps as used in the Global LAI project.
Important: If you struggle to get the download to work from the CanEye project webpages (https://www6.paca.inra.fr/can-eye/): (1) Go to Download tab, (2) Scroll down to Licence Agreement, agree and continue, (3) If you fail to read something in that licence agreement window: copy the agreement php listed there (http://w3.avignon.inra.fr/can-eye-inscription/licence.php) and paste into a new window of your internet search engine. That did the trick for us.
- Pfeifer M, Gonsamo A, Disney M, Pellikka P & Marchant R. 2012. Leaf area index for biomes of the Eastern Arc Mountains: Landsat and SPOT observations along precipitation and altitude gradients. Remote Sens Environ 118: 103 – 115. Contact us if you want a copy. Link
- Pfeifer M, Disney M, Quaife T & Marchant R. 2011. Terrestrial Ecosystems from space: a review of earth observation products for macroecology applications. Global Ecol Biogeogr 21: 603 – 624. Contact us if you want a copy. Link
- Pfeifer M, Lefebvre V, Gonsamo A, Pellikka P, Marchant R, Denu D & Platts PJ. 2014. Validating and linking the GIMMS leaf area index (LAI3g) with environmental controls in East Africa. Remote Sens. 6: 173 – 1990. Open Access. Download
- Hardwick S, Toumi R, Pfeifer M, et al. 2015. The relationship between leaf area index and forest microclimate. Agr For Meteor 201: 187 – 195. Contact us if you want a copy. Link
- Pfeifer M, Kor L, Nilus R, Turner E, Cusack J, Lysenko I, Khoo M, Chey VK, Chung AC, Ewers RM. 2016. Mapping the structure of Borneo’s tropical forests across a degradation gradient. Remote Sens Environ 176: 84-97. Contact us if you want a copy. Link
- Shirima D, Pfeifer M, Platts PJ, Totland O & Moe Stein R (2015) Interactions between Canopy Structure and Herbaceous Biomass along Environmental Gradients in Moist Forest and Dry Miombo Woodland of Tanzania. PLOS One 10. Open Access. Link
- Pfeifer et al. 2018. Tropical forest canopies and their relationships with climate and disturbance: results from a global dataset of consistent field-based measurements. Forest Ecosystems 5:7. Open Access. Link.